'Mmmmagnesium'

This poem illustrates what can happen when a stuttering child is asked to read aloud in class.

What is simple for most students, is one of the hardest things for a student who stutters. It is not just the stuttering that happens but all of the extra bits; what happens to our body and how we feel afterwards. (See my piece about the iceberg analogy) 

For those of you who can relate to this poem; just know you are not alone and that there will be better days! 



Mmmmagnesium

Science was not my favourite subject,
all the numbers and calculations,
I knew my limitations.

It was a dull day to begin with,
the clouds were covering the sun,
it was tough to wake up,
and before the day had begun,
my stutter was there waiting.

On the walk to school,
as I opened my locker,
as I sat down in class,
it was there,
me and my stutter.

We had a new teacher,
I can’t remember her name,
she was a sub,
she was not to blame.

The words I dread to hear,
the words so loud and clear,
she asked me to read.

Fear burst inside me,
like fireworks,
as I tried to read the first word.

I could hear laughing,
the laughing turned into ringing,
as I tried again,
feeling my stutter dance around in my throat,
I could have choked.

I tried one more time,
third times the charm,
the laughter still steady,
my palms getting sweaty,
my mouth dry,
my vision blurring,
trying not to cry.

The teacher stopped me,
she moved on,
my heart slowed,
my tears retracted,
and my stutter released me,
it had won,
all because I couldn’t say magnesium.


Comments

Popular Posts