It's not about finding your voice...


This Kris Carr quote is something I stumbled upon quite recently and if I'm totally honest, I didn't really understand what it meant when I first read it. 
But now I do. 
As a person ho stutters, I have often been told that I need to find my voice, that my voice is buried deep within me and that if only I could scoop it out of me I would be able to live a full and happy life. 
But I have always had a voice. I was born with a voice. I used my voice the very second I was born into this world. My voice has always been there. 
But as a person who stutters, I whave often felt that my voice was not worthy of being used, simply because it is not fluid. There were times when I quite literally felt like i had to ask for permission before I spoke, before my 'broken' speech disrupted the fluidity of society. 
Now, I don't feel the need to ask for permission before I allow my voice to be heard. 
I give myself permission to be heard. 
I give myself permission to use the voice that I was born with...not the one that I need to find.  

Comments

Popular Posts