My Stutter is the Other

How do you think it feels to be accepted into society simply because you look completely 'normal' (note the quotation marks around normal; in my opinion, there is no normal way to look apart from society's idea of normal), but as soon as you open your mouth, you are potentially Othered by those around you?

In my 23 years of existence, I have been fortunate enough to have very little experience in being completely rejected by society because of my stutter. And my heart goes out to those of you who have. However, I think everyone who stutters can relate to that moment when you are conversing with someone and you begin to stutter and there may be a small flicker in their eye that tells you they are taken aback by your interrupted speech or they may make a comment on how you are not speaking as fluently as they are. You are Othered or in some cases you Other yourself (Which in my opinion can be worse…but that’s a topic for another time)

This poem describes why and how one’s stutter can make them the Other.


Photo by Engin Akyurt from Pexels

My Stutter is the Other

The societal norms of fluency,
prevent me from speaking openly,
I can shy away from ordering coffee,
because my request does not flow smoothly.

Fluency is the expectation,
while my speech can cause me alienation.

Oh why does the way my mouth move,
cause so many people to disapprove,
because fluency is normal,
and my tongue simply does not move that way.

This is the way I talk,
the only way I know how,
I can feel you staring now,
unsure of what to think,
my body begins shrink,
my mouth closes tight,
because with every stutter,
I become the Other.

 

Comments

Popular Posts