Why I write

This poem explains why I find refuge in writing and why, when my stutter is wreaking havoc on my life, I choose to turn to the page to let my thoughts out. My thoughts (most of the time) are fluent, even when my words are not, which means (sometimes) writing my thoughts down can be easier than speaking them out loud. Ever since I was a young child I have written everything from short stories (which will never see the light of day because of how terrible they are) to poetry (which, as you can see from this blog is my favourite form of writing) to film scripts (which I learned how to write as part of college). And more recently I have also started to write long(ish) articles for this blog and I'm really enjoying it. Being able to write long form articles including articles about how I feel about how stuttering is represented in the media or how I use theiceberg analogy in my everyday life is something which I want to continue to do. And if I can't thank my stutter for anything else, I will thank it for giving me a little corner on the internet to write to my heart's content. I hope you enjoy learning, through rhyme and rhythm, why I write. 


Photo by Sora Shimazaki from Pexels and Jessica Lynn Lewis from Pexels

Why I write

Pen in hand,
and my curiosity runs wild,
I feel so alive,
my speech I choose to hide.

I don't need to be fluent,
while my hand moves with ease,
creating new worlds, new poems and new stories.

My stutter can rest within me,
as my pen gets to write freely,
my words I express fluently,
because my tongue lays flat.

So when my stutter gets too much,
I can keep my mouth shut,
still producing words worth hearing,
until I find the courage,
to keep on speaking,

When my words decide to stay put,
my instinct is to write,
because the words I long to shout,
need somewhere to come out.


Comments

Popular Posts