Make them listen to you

 Happy New Year!! I can't believe its 2022 already...where has the time gone?! It's mad to think that I started this blog in August...that's just over 4 months ago!  Writing has been and will always be an important part in my life and I'm so happy I made the leap to finally start a blog and to stay (somewhat) consistent with it. And thank you to everyone who has  read my blog this year, I hope you found some solace in my words and perhaps learned a little from me too! 

2021 has been such a big year for the stuttering community and I don't think I've ever felt prouder to be a part of it! Among such things include; The President of the United States of America is a person who stutters, STAMMA launched their campaign for greater representation of Stammering in the Media, and Irish Stammering Association launched its first Stammering Pride Discussion Group. Please see the ISA for more information about the global stuttering community. 

I knew I wanted my last blog post of 2021 to be a poem but as always I didn't fully make up my mind until I sat down to write. Then this poem was born. This poem is a reflection on the past year and also looks forward to the next year. I really hope you like it!

And here's to the New Year! See you then! 

Make them listen to you

Look how far we've come,
stutterers united in 2021,
the fight, whilst perhaps not yet won,
has given us some victories.

We have risen,
we have fallen,
we have gotten up and tried again,
because we if we don't speak up,
we will have lost our campaign.

We are everywhere you look,
on tv, on radio, in the papers,
there is no shutting us down,
now you know how we sound.

So here's to you,
and remember this for 2022,
when there are words in your heart,
which are struggling to come out,
remember your words are worth waiting for,
and I urge you to say more,
because without our voices,
stuttering will remain in the shadows.

This New Year is a chance to speak without fear,
make them listen to you,
in 2022. 

Comments

Popular Posts