'Small Wins' ; A Poem

 Following up on my blog post from last week, and given that I've had a few 'small wins' this week, I decided to write a poem to describe those moments of pure joy, calm, or when I just feel accomplished. Like I say in the poem, these moments may seem so tiny to those who are fluent and who, without a second thought, can pick up the phone, order a coffee or just speak up in a conversation.  But these moments make me feel so proud of myself. Because after years of silence, it is in these moments, my stutter and I (Ha! See what I did there!) are united.


Photo by Scott Webb from Pexels


Small Wins

Those moments of triumph,
when you feel so elated,
because you spoke up,
regardless of your hesitations.

Those moments of pure courage,
as you step outside your comfort zone,
and you answer the phone,
despite your disjointed speech,
you decide to take a breath and leap,
and it pays off.

Those moments of serenity,
as you sip your morning coffee,
sitting in that coffee shop,
knowing you have achieved something you believed was out of your reach.

These moments may seem small,
to those who can talk without fear of rejection,
but to me,
someone whose words take time to release,
these moments are reminders,
that I too can feel at peace with my speech.

 

Comments

Popular Posts