Dear Younger Me

 A letter to my 13 year old self  (10 years ago) 



Dear Bevin,

I wanted to write you a letter to let you know that everything works out just fine.

I know that's hard to believe just now because your stutter seems to be one of your biggest obstacles at the moment.
I'm sorry you had to spend so many years feeling afraid of being called on in class or having to introduce yourself.
I'm sorry you felt that your voice wasn't worth using because you didn't speak as quickly or as smoothly as the other people in your class.
I'm sorry that you missed out on opportunities because your own voice felt so small. 

But I'm writing to you to let you know that it does get better.
You learn how to use that beautiful voice of yours.
You become part of class discussions.
You make so many new friends by introducing yourself.
You take chances and they pay off.
You use your voice to help others. 

And you still stutter.
Your stutter your way through.
But not only do you stutter, you own your stutter.
You become a person who stutters, and not just a stutterer. 

I also wanted to say thank you.
Thank you for being you because I wouldn't be me without you. 
And I wouldn't be where I am today without you. 

I love you (and your quiet voice) unconditionally. 

- Older you xoxo



Comments

Popular Posts