A Poem; Ugly

This poem is about how sometimes people may think that stuttering, with all of its various sounds, is ugly. Stuttering does not fit into the norms of society, we are so used to hearing fluent speech that when someone stutters, it may not sound 'normal.' People who stutter, similar to people with an accent, all sound different and it is the uniqueness of our voices that people might mistake with being ugly or not aesthetically sounding. I am in no way calling stuttering ugly but recently, I have been thinking a lot about how I stutter, compared to the people who I know that don’t stutter. Speaking just seems to come to naturally to them, while sometimes speaking, for me, is a act that I struggle with. But like I say at the end of this poem, when someone is stuttering, most people often pay attention, simply because it does not sound 'normal' and it is then that people who stutter have the opportunity to say what they want to say out loud.

 

Catching myself mid stutter


Ugly

The words that I speak,
the sentences that are formed,
as my mouth tries to keep up with my mind.

My speech is not perfect,
and noticeably so,
as the words in my heart,
come out in parts,
and there is no distinct flow.

With my audible shakes, blocks and repetitions,
there is no confusion,
that I am not fluent.

Some may say that my stutter is ugly,
aswell as the faces I make,
and the sounds I release.

I can struggle to articulate,
what I want to say,
my listener waiting and wondering,
if I need help along the way.

But there is something so special,
about being unique,
for the world stops to listen,
when I begin to speak.

I demand your attention,
as my thoughts become words,
however ugly they may sound,
I stand here speaking them loud. 

Comments

Popular Posts