STAMMAFEST Global 2022

 As I sit down to write this, after sleeping 10+ hours and still feeling like I need another 10 hours, I am struggling to put into words my experience of my first ever International Stuttering Conference. 



This past weekend I attended STAMMAFEST Global in Liverpool where I met some of the most amazing people, attended the most amazing workshops and presentations and listened to the most amazing stories. Its hard to put into words how it feels to be surrounded by so many people who stutter, who all stutter in their own beautiful way. It’s hard to describe the positiveness of having something so special enter your life that you miss it the second you leave. Attending STAMMAFEST really did feed my soul and make my heart so happy.

I would love to talk about all of the presentations and workshops in detail and what I learned from each one but if I did that this blog post would be over a thousand words long. From attending a presentation which focused on the power of language and the importance of how we use language in association to stuttering to being involved in a discussion group which focused on how women who stutter can empower other women who stutter through, among other things, open conversation on self-advocacy and acceptance. All of the presenters and workshop leaders said some really valuable and important things that will continue to stick with me as I continue to my stuttering journey.


The Irish contingent representing proudly representing Ireland

Another aspect of the conference that I really enjoyed was the social aspect. Both nights I was there, I went out with people I had met that day and those of you who know me, know I am partial to a celebratory drink (or three). And we had a lot to celebrate! It was so wonderful to be sitting in a pub or dancing the night away with a group of people who stutter. We were the majority group, which rarely happens and we were all stuttering proudly! Asking for a drink at the bar without hesitancy because I knew that if the bartender laughed or mocked me, I had my tribe standing behind me.

I could also write down a list of the people who I met at the conference but I don’t have to because they all have a place in my heart and that’s where I want them to stay. People who stutter are some of the kindest, most supportive, most accepting people and I felt nothing but love when I was surrounded by them. I was reminded of what its like to be good listener and to be really present with someone when they are speaking. I met writers, artists, podcasters, teachers, SLTs, advocates, musicians and so much more. Everyone who attended the conference was there for their own reason and their own purpose but one thing was for certain, we were all there in solidarity of the fact that stuttering is not something to be ashamed of.


I want to end on a quote that I heard a lot of people say at the conference; 



...if that’s the case, myself and everyone who was at STAMMAFEST will continue to disobey until our voices are heard.

Comments

Popular Posts