25 years of stuttering

Stuttering Through The Ages...

Me at around 4 years old. 


Between 0 and 5 - 

To be totally honest, I don't really remember much of this time...I don't even really remember when I first started stuttering, which I'm told was around 3 years old. I think I'll put that down to the fact that I was a child, and I was living in my own little world. I simply didn't realize something was amiss with my speech because I simply did not care. My words were a lot freer when I was between the ages of 0 and 5, maybe because I didn't have a lot of them (hahaha). I think it’s safe to say that little baby Bevin lived a very blissful life when she was under the age of 5.

Me at around 8 years old.

Between 5 and 10 -

This is when I began to notice my stutter. I began to realize that the way I spoke was different to everyone else. I started to see the looks that other children and parents of those children would give my mother and I, wondering why I was taking so long to say three simple words. I was still happy, nonetheless, and I had friends who accepted me, even if they thought I was a little odd. I also started speech therapy, because my mother, who also stutters, decided to 'catch it' while I was young, with a speech therapist who turned out to be a lifelong friend of my family. Cheers J! This was also when I met SAY who I will forever be grateful to. It was an odd period in my life, where I was still trying to live in my own little world, whilst the outside world was slowly pushing its way in. 


Me at 13 years old

Between 10 and 15 -

I guess this was when I started to gain a deep awareness of my stutter and how I sounded when I stuttered. These 5 years were when I felt the most shame and it felt uncomfortable to be a person who stuttered. There is no denying that I let my stutter control me and how lived my life. It felt as if I was constantly thinking about my stutter, and I really struggled in most social situations. I rarely pushed myself out of my comfort zone - I was often yanked out of it by other people and I often had to crawl my way back in. My comfort zone was my safe space. However, this was also when I attended speech therapy the most, which was a huge help to me. I also attended the Irish Stammering Association workshops and Camp SAY. I owe a lot to these organizations because not only did they provided me with a safe space in a world where I felt unsafe. They also helped me meet other people who stuttered and being surrounded by kids my own age who stuttered, reminded me that I was not alone. However, while I was deeply connected to the stuttering community, I still felt very lonely between the ages of 10 and 15 and I just wish I could hug my younger self and tell her that it gets better.


Me at 18 years old

Between 15 and 20 - 

Like the previous years, these years were filled with a lot of uncomfortable feelings and often uncomfortable looks from other people. However, I did a lot of realising during these years and I realised that life does not wait for you to stop stuttering. I realised that the world did not stop moving just because I was waiting for myself to pluck up the courage to speak. I started to understand that it was up to me to start living and stop hiding away. I did not move past my feelings of shame and embarrassment during these years, but I did slowly start to live with these feelings. I slowly started to push myself out of my comfort zone. I slowly started to look at myself differently and not just as a person who stuttered but as an entire being. I fell down a lot and whilst sometimes I stayed down for a while, I also, every so often, got back up again and fought harder. 


Me at 24 years old

Between 20 and 25 - 

The last 5 years of my life have honestly been the best years of my life…so far. Obviously, there have been tough times, very tough times but there have also been so many beautiful moments. As each year passed, I grew more and more into my authentic self and into my identity as a person who stutters. I began to embrace all of me, and I learned to embrace all of the weird looks I get, which actually do not get to me as much as they used to. I have learned to deeply accept that I stutter, and I always will. I have grown to love my stutter...most of the time. I rarely feel shame anymore. I have taken advantage of my stutter and have used it as a source to fuel my creativity. I am so thankful to be in the stuttering community and I like to think I help other people who stutter realise their potential and in the process of doing that I have discovered my own potential. I constantly push myself out of my comfort zone and I have started to enjoy doing so but when the going gets tough, I take a step back and I have learned that this is okay too.

Well, there you have it! 25 years of stuttering, it has been a journey and it continues to be a journey.

Here's to the next 25 years. 

Me at 25 years old


 


Comments

Popular Posts