A journey; poem

I really love the quote "life is all about the journey and not about the destination' and I think this poem sums up this quote.

As someone who stutters, I used to think, and hope, that one day I would get to a point in my life where I completely and wholeheartedly accept my stutter. But I don't think that is ever going to happen. But hey, never say never! However, when I reflect on my life, I realize that with each passing year of my life, I have grown to accept and embrace my stutter more and more. 

And I think this is the journey of stuttering. 

This poem is about how the journey of learning to accept your stutter is not linear, it is up and down, and left and right and it's important to take it at your own pace and not to be in a competition with others. The journey is about discovering the beauty of your own voice.


The Journey

I wish I could tell you that it's going to be okay,
that all your fears and doubts will go away,
and you will get a happy ending to your story,
but I don't have that kind of power.

That's not to say your ending won't be happy,
only that it may take a while to get there,
it may take you a while to accept,
that the way you speak,
is not so weak,
after all. 

And even when you start to love your stutter,
there will be days when you wish you didn't,
and you will want to run back up the path that brought you this far.

This is all part of the journey,
learning to love yourself,
regardless of how your words may sound,
regardless of how others perceive you.

You get to choose how fast you walk,
and how many times you rest,
you get choose when you stop and say hello,
and when to keep your thoughts to yourself.

There is no race,
and with each step you take,
you are learning to embrace,
that the voice you were born with,
is worth the journey.











Comments

Popular Posts