A Poem: Wait

'Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on the object we're waiting for.' - Charles Stanley

I don't think this poem needs an introduction but it's essentially a request to all those who find themselves conversing with a person who stutters. 

Simply just wait. 

Wait for them to finish speaking, even if it takes 5 seconds longer than 'normal'. There is value in what people who stutter have to say, just like there is value in what fluent speakers have to say. Whether we're ordering at a restaurant or giving a speech in front of the class, we will get our words out, we just need a little extra time. 

We're doing the hard part - the talking...all you have to do is listen. 

Photo made with be-funky

So, I ask you to... 

Wait 

A little patience goes a long way,
holding out a few more seconds,
while I say what I need to say.

With all the rushing around,
the timekeeping and plans that need to be met,
the world has forgotten itself.

What is a few more seconds,
to hear someone finish their sentence,
to wait and not interrupt,
the flow of someone's speech,
to hear them speak. 

Please be patient with me,
there is value in my words,
I deserve to be heard,
the world is my stage,
my stutter is here to stay.

So I ask you to wait,
please don't look at your watch,
my stutter is more than just noise, 
it's my beautiful voice. 


Comments

Popular Posts