Be your own friend

I guess this poem is about a few different things.

It’s about those moments when you’re content to just sit in silence and think your thoughts and feel your feelings without feeling the pressure to say them out loud.

It’s also about the importance of being your own friend, to listen your body and to your soul and making the conscious effort to look after yourself and to not feel pressure to meet the needs of others. Sometimes, breathing deeply is all you need to remind yourself that you are still living and that there is a whole world in which you are alive in. 

Finally, it’s a reminder that even when sometimes people who stutter are forced into silence because we just can’t seem to get our words out, our thoughts, feelings, opinions and ideas are still worth thinking about. 

We are still worth a place on this Earth. 

We are still worth living.


Photo by Anastasiya Lobanovskaya

Be your own friend

It’s in those moments,
when I choose not to talk,
to sit in silence,
and let my mind walk.

To let my thoughts and feelings jump about my head,
to remember that sometimes I don’t need to let them out,
I don’t need to speak to to know my worth.

Sometimes it’s okay to just talk to yourself,
to be your own friend,
to listen to your own breath.

Because it’s in these moments,
you learn to recognise your voice is your own,
and that you can be alone,
but you are not lonely.

I think it’s important to know,
that even when your stutter is causing chaos in your throat,
and the words just won’t come out,
your thoughts are worth thinking,
and your life is worth living.




Comments

Popular Posts